What is UF?
Ultrafiltration or UF is a pressure driven membrane separation process that separates particulate matter from soluble components in the carrier fluid (such as water). UF membranes typically have pore sizes in the range of 0.01 – 0.10 µm (micron) and have a high removal capability for bacteria and most viruses, colloids and silt.
The smaller the nominal pore size, the higher the removal capability.
Ultrafiltration modules utilize a double-walled hollow fiber (capillary) membrane which has a very small nominal pore diameter that allows for the removal of all particulate matter, bacteria and most viruses and colloids.
The Pedal Powered Water Bike Ultra Filtration module is designed with an outside-in flow configuration which allows for less plugging, higher solids loading, higher flow area and easy cleaning. The primary flow design is dead-end filtration but the module can be operated using a concentrate bleed. Dead-end filtration uses less energy and has a lower operating pressure than the concentrate bleed, therefore reducing operating costs.
The pressure across the membrane will naturally increase over time and the module can be cleaned periodically by back flushing and air scouring with treated water from the storage tank, to remove the fouling layer. Periodic disinfection can be used to fully remove and prevent performance loss due to biological growth.
The Ultrafiltration double-walled hollow fiber membrane is formed from high grade polymeric chemicals. The virtually defect-free, double-walled fiber membrane is much more robust and less prone to breakage than single-wall hollow fibers but due to the high pore distribution, does not compromise flux. The uniformity of pore size and outside-in flow ensures the Ultrafiltration membrane creates a perfect barrier without sacrificing performance.
- Low fouling membrane
- Excellent filtration performance with high flux
- Durable and break resistant double- walled fiber structure
- High chemical resistance and temperature tolerance for effective membrane cleaning
- Very fine nominal pore diameter (0.03 µm)
- High removal efficiency of bacteria and viruses
- Dead-end or concentrate bleed flow capabilities
- Outside-In flow configuration that allows for less plugging and higher solids loading, higher flow area and easier cleaning
- Can be periodically back washed and air scoured to improve performance and extend operating life by removing the fouling layer
- Simple, vertical, modular design allows low cost, compact systems